With a little preparation the night before, you can jump-start your mornings with healthy breakfasts that cook while you sleep. With the help of a crock pot, you can wake up to a wonderful warm meal of Spanish-style eggs with sweet potatoes and red pepper, gluten-free oatmeal with walnuts and strawberries or cheesy eggs with chopped bacon. These recipes are great templates for creating your own delicious dishes. In addition, eating a whole-food based breakfast aids weight loss, reduces body fat, boosts metabolism, improves mental focus, increases energy, reduces risk of type 2 diabetes and obesity, decreases overeating and increases daily performance!
Spanish Egg & Potato Omelet
Serves 8-10, Cooking time 4 hours on low
Coconut oil for coating
4 sweet potatoes, peeled, quartered lengthwise, sliced 1/8 inch thick
1 tablespoon butter
8 ounces chorizo sausage, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
2 onions, diced
1 red bell pepper, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 teaspoons dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Coat slow cooker with coconut oil.
- Heat a 12-inch skillet over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Add butter, then sausage and brown for 3 minutes.
- Add onions, peppers, garlic, oregano and red pepper flakes.
- Cook until veggies are soft and golden, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a bowl with potatoes. Toss to combine.
- Transfer potato mixture to slow cooker and smooth into an even layer.
- Whisk eggs, salt, and pepper in a bowl. Pour mixture evenly over potatoes. Gently press potatoes into egg mixture.
- Cover and cook until the center of the tortilla is set, about 4 hours on low.
- Let rest for 20 minutes. Serve with hot sauce or garlic aioli.
Strawberry Walnut Oatmeal
Serves 8, Cooking time 4-6 hours on low
2 tablespoons butter
2 cups gluten-free steel-cut oats
8 cups water
1 teaspoon fine sea salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
4 cups strawberries
2 cups walnuts, chopped
- Combine ingredients (except berries and nuts) in a slow cooker.
- Cover and cook until thick, 4-6 hours on low.
- Top with berries and nuts before serving.
Slow-Cooked Cheesy Eggs
Serves 6-8, Cooking time 3-4 hours on low
2 cups raw milk cheddar cheese, shredded
1 cup cooked bacon or prosciutto, diced
1 cup organic heavy cream (or canned coconut milk)
4 scallions, chopped finely
1/2 teaspoon cayenne powder
1 teaspoon fine sea salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Beat eggs and mix with remaining ingredients. Pour into slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low for 3-4 hours.