Whether hiking in Big Sur, swimming at Carmel Beach or golfing at Poppy Hills, you need healthy foods to keep your energy strong all day long.
Although most people grab a soda pop or granola bar, those insulin-spiking processed products can actually leave you thirstier and hungrier than before. By incorporating the five healthy nutrition tips below, you’ll learn how to stay hydrated and know what snacks to pack to energize your body for a fun-filled day.
Enhance hydration by starting each morning with a large glass of cold water and pack a bottle to refill throughout the day. Consuming cold water keeps your body temperature cooler and decreases heat-related fatigue. Add variety to plain H2O with cooling cucumber slices, zesty citrus wedges, spicy grated ginger or refreshing frozen berries. For optimal health, consume a minimum of half your body weight in ounces of water daily. Replace electrolytes naturally with coconut water or this homemade electrolyte beverage.
Fruits are high in vitamins, minerals, and fiber, making them great grab-and-go snacks. Berries, such as blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, strawberries, and Goji berries, pack in antioxidants that reduce inflammation and prevent sun damage. Keep dried fruit consumption to a minimum to avoid excess sugar.
Requiring minimal preparation, raw vegetables are ideal for maximizing nutrients with little effort. Not only are veggies rich in beneficial enzymes and nutrients such as vitamins, minerals, and fiber, they can also prevent you from eating nutrient-poor processed products such as candy, cookies, and chips. Delicious veg to enjoy raw include: carrots, cucumber, celery, bell peppers, tomatoes, avocado, jicama, and radishes.
Nuts and seeds are good, easy-to-pack sources of natural fat, fiber, and minerals. Walnuts, in particular, are a great source of brain-boosting omega-3s that reduce inflammation. For a wide variety of nuts and seeds, try NuttZo 2Go squeeze packs. Primal Kitchen snack bars are another convenient option.
- fresh/frozen, ripe fruit (top choices: avocado, berries, cherries, green apples)
- fruit/celery and nuts, nut butter or a nut squeeze pack, such as an apple with NuttZo
- roasted coconut flakes with cinnamon and sea salt
- Paleo Wrap with nut butter and fruit or lightly toasted with butter and cinnamon
- Superpower Protein Shake
- Primal Kitchen snack bars
- yogurt/kefir medley or parfait
- chocolate chia seed pudding
- Primal Kitchen dressing with carrots, celery, cucumber, peppers, cauliflower
- guacamole with carrots and peppers or organic corn tortilla chips
- raw milk cheese or hummus with Mary’s Gone Crackers and olives
- hard-cooked eggs and avocado sprinkled with sea salt
- canned sardines mixed with walnuts and cayenne powder
- canned salmon mashed with avocado and served with Mary’s Gone Crackers
- canned salmon with Paleo mayo and tomato on Paleo or sourdough bread
- sliced meat with cheese, such as roast beef rolled with raw milk cheese, arugula, and mustard
- sausage with raw milk cheese and sliced apple
- bacon wrapped turkey with avocado and Primal Kitchen mayo
- prosciutto wrapped asparagus with ricotta cheese
- cinnamon raisin toast with mascarpone and green apple slices or nut butter and banana slices
- jerky with kale or seaweed chips
- Zukay veggie or fruit kvass
- wraps/rolls/stacks, such as a lettuce-wrapped burger with cheese/avocado/mayo and side salad
- chicken with hummus, carrots, cucumber, and olives
- no-bake cacao cookies and vanilla shortbread bites