Steaming is one of the best cooking methods for improving the flavor of vegetables without destroying vital nutrients.
Although steaming is a quick process, you can chop your ingredients into smaller pieces for even faster cooking times. Steam in batches to save even more time and so you have plenty of veggies to get you through the week. However, if you do steam for a prolonged period, check the water level and add more as needed.
How to Steam
- Fill a 10-inch pot with 2 inches of water and add a stainless steel or silicone steamer basket.
- Turn heat to high and bring the water to a boil.
- Once the water is boiling, add veggies, cover with a lid, and set a timer.
- Veg are done when a fork is easily inserted, but not mushy.
- Transfer to a large bowl and toss flavorful ingredients listed below.
Many vegetables are excellent for steaming, including leafy greens, broccoli, carrots, asparagus, zucchini, cauliflower, mushrooms, green beans, squash, potatoes, artichokes, and beets. Cooking times will vary depending on the size of ingredients being used.
Steaming Veggie Times
- Artichokes, whole with most of stem removed = 30 minutes
- Asparagus, cut into 2-inch pieces = 4 minutes
- Asparagus, whole = 6 minutes
- Beets, parsnips, rutabaga or turnips, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes = 45 minutes
- Broccoli or cauliflower, cut into bite-size florets = 7-9 minutes
- Broccoli rabe or rapini, stems removed and cut into 2-inch pieces = 6-8 minutes
- Brussels sprouts, whole = 8-12 minutes
- Brussels sprouts, halved = 6-8 minutes
- Cabbage, cut into wedges = 7-9 minutes
- Cabbage, shredded = 5-7 minutes
- Carrots, sliced 1/2-inch thick = 5-7 minutes
- Celery root, cut into 1/4-inch matchsticks pieces = 5-7 minutes
- Daikon radishes, peeled and cut into 2-inch cubes = 10-12 minutes
- Eggplant, diced = 5-6 minutes
- Endive (chicory), cut in half lengthwise = 5-8 minutes
- Fennel bulb, cut in half and sliced into 1/2 inch slices = 8-10 minutes
- Greens (kale, collard, spinach, etc.), sliced into 2-inch strips = 3-5 minutes
- Jerusalem artichokes (sunchokes), peeled, sliced thin = 5-7 minutes
- Jerusalem artichokes (sunchokes), peeled = 25-30 minutes
- Kohlrabi, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes = 8-10 minutes
- Leeks, halved = 5-8 minutes
- Mushrooms = 5-7 minutes
- Peas (sugar or snap), whole = 3-5 minutes
- Peppers (sweet), stem and seeds removed, halved = 4-6 minutes
- Potatoes, cut into 2-inch cubes = 8-14 minutes
- Radishes, whole = 7-12 minutes
- Squash (summer), halved and sliced into bite-size pieces = 6-8 minutes
- Squash (winter), peeled, seeded, cut into 1-inch cubes = 8-10 minutes
Healthy fat: pastured butter, unrefined coconut oil, extra virgin avocado/olive oil, organic heavy cream, organic raw milk cheese, creme fraiche, pastured bacon, nuts, seeds, Primal Kitchen dressing
Herbs & spices: cayenne, cinnamon, cumin, paprika, ginger, garlic, etc.
Citrus juice/zest: lemon, lime, orange
Vinegar: apple cider, balsamic, red wine, etc.
Sauces/dips: hot sauce, salsa, guacamole, hummus, pesto, Primal Kitchen dressing
Fresh/dried fruit: apple, pear, dates, prunes, etc.
Other: unrefined sea salt or coconut aminos
- Kale with diced bacon and shallot
- Spinach with olive oil and fresh lemon juice
- Broccoli with shredded raw milk cheese
- Cauliflower with Primal Kitchen Ranch dressing
- Sweet potato with butter, diced apple, and cinnamon
- Red potatoes with creme fraiche and finely chopped chives
- Asparagus topped with mascarpone, wrapped with prosciutto, and drizzled with reduced balsamic