Also called pepitas, pumpkin seeds are a nutrient-packed, protein-rich seed. Only 1/4 cup contains 10 grams of protein! Eating pumpkin seeds on a regular basis can help with immune function, hormone balance, reproductive health, inflammation levels, heart health, nervous system health, blood sugar, detoxification, sleep, brain function, hair loss, and even parasite infections.
12 Reasons to Eat Pumpkin Seeds
- Rich in zinc to strengthen the immune system.
- Excellent for prostate health and hormone balance.
- Boosts reproductive health, fertility and sex drive.
- Packed with 10 grams of protein per 1/4 cup of pumpkin seeds.
- Contains anti-inflammatory omega-3s.
- Abundant in antioxidants that reduce inflammation throughout the body and help prevent cancer.
- Good source of magnesium to promote heart and nervous system health.
- Great balance of nutrients that reduce cravings and support blood sugar levels (antidiabetic).
- Filled with fiber that aids detoxification, especially of the brain (prevent Alzheimer’s).
- Decent source of tryptophan that improves sleep, elevates mood and increases brain function.
- Supports healthy hair and stops hair loss. One tablespoon daily of pumpkin seed oil is also a great option.
- Kills parasites. About a cup per day during a cleanse is most helpful.
How to Enjoy Pumpkin Seeds
Best enjoyed raw, toasted, roasted or dehydrated, pumpkin seeds are delicious enjoyed by the handful, sprinkled on steel cut oatmeal for breakfast, added to a protein shake or green drink for a snack, tossed into salads for lunch, or mixed into baked goods for dessert. For an extra nutritional boost, try the “Go Raw” Organic Raw Sprouted Pumpkin Seeds.
Toasted Sweet and Spicy Pepitas
1 tablespoon coconut oil or butter
1 pound raw pumpkin seeds
1/2 teaspoon cayenne powder
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
2 teaspoons maple syrup
- Preheat a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add oil and swirl to coat the skillet. Add pepitas and sauté until golden brown, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in cayenne, cinnamon and maple syrup. Transfer to a large bowl and let cool before enjoying.
- Once completely cooled, store in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 1 year.