This morning beverage can be beneficial for your health for two main reasons: caffeine and antioxidants. It’s this synergy of nutrients working together in your morning mug that produce the most effective results on your body, mind and daily performance. It’s important to note that these nutrients in isolation don’t have the same effect. In other words, taking a caffeine pill or antioxidant concoction won’t have the same benefits.
As one of the richest sources of antioxidants, particularly polyphenols, coffee is excellent for reducing free radicals that create oxidative stress. This greatly reduces inflammation in the body and decreases the risk of inflammatory diseases, as well as conditions associated with inflammation.
- Caffeine stimulates your brain, which gives you an energy boost and improves mental performance.
- Caffeine also increases serotonin, which makes you feel happy.
- Rich in antioxidants, particularly polyphenols that improve carbohydrate metabolism
- Improves brain functioning and memory
- Reduces weight gain, improves blood sugar levels and lowers the risk of developing type 2 diabetes
- Decreases oxidative damage and inflammation
- Decreases risk for cardiovascular disease and all-cause mortality
- Decreases depression
- Decreases periodontitis
- Decreases risk for Parkinson’s disease
- Decrease risk of cancer, especially prostate, breast, liver, gastric and colorectal cancer.
- Protects again cirrhosis of the liver
- May improve athletic endurance when enjoyed before a workout.
Although coffee does boast many health benefits, more is not necessary better. Keep your coffee consumption to 1-3 cups daily. For optimal sleep, avoid caffeine after noon. Make sure you’re using a normal size mug and not one the size of your coffee pot! Excess caffeine can cause dehydration and deplete B vitamins, magnesium, iron and calcium. Use Laird Superfood Creamers to replenish minerals.
- To reduce toxins, look for organic, whole beans and grind just before use. Unless using your beans within 1 week, store them in the freezer to preserve freshness.
- For decaf coffee, always select “organic Swiss Water Process” to reduce your toxic load.
- For drip coffee makers, use only non-bleached filters to avoid chlorine bleach in your coffee.
Avoid sugar filled and artificially sweetened coffee with low-fat dairy products. Below are much healthier, whole food ingredients that support blood sugar levels for improved focus and long-lasting energy.
- Grass-fed butter is rich in omega-3s, beta-carotene, CLA, butyric acid and vitamins A, D, E and K.
- Fresh cinnamon stabilizes blood sugar levels, stimulates circulation and decreases inflammation.
- Stevia, an all-natural herb, contains zero sugars, carbs, calories or toxic ingredients.
- Laird Superfood creamers contain natural fats, easy-to-absorb minerals and low-glycemic coconut sugar.
Healthier Coffee Recipe: Combine 8-12 ounces organic brewed coffee with Laird Superfood creamer or 2 teaspoons butter, a dash of cinnamon and stevia. Stir well or blend for 30 seconds for a frothy treat.
Ordering Coffee Out: Select organic coffee when available. For a creamer add Laird Superfood creamer, heavy cream, half and half or coconut/almond milk (in that order). Add cinnamon or stevia for sweetness.
On-The-Go: Pack Laird Superfood Instafuel and combine with hot water.
Laird Superfood coffee, creamers and other products were created by Laird Hamilton, a world-renowned big-wave surfer, fitness guru and coffee connoisseur. Laird Superfood uses nutrient-dense organic, GMO-free, gluten-free, dairy-free and soy-free ingredients. The Laird Superfood line-up includes: coffee, Instafuel, Top Fuel Creamer, Turmeric Creamer, Cacao Creamer, Original Creamer, Unsweetened Original Creamer, Coconut Sugar, Cocoa, and Performance Mushroom Blend. Every ingredient is carefully sourced, processed and packaged using optimal resources and methods.