Rich in healthy fats, fiber, and minerals, walnuts provide antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties that support fat loss, benefit brain function, improve memory, balance neurotransmitters, boost heart health, reduce type 2 diabetes risk, and may even prevent colon and breast cancer.
Walnuts are rich in phytonutrients that cool inflammation and decrease cancer risk. Most of the antioxidant-rich nutrients in walnuts are found in the bitter-tasting skin, so enjoy walnuts with the skin on.
High in omega-3s, particularly alpha-linolenic acid (ALA) walnuts reduce inflammation and support heart health. The form of vitamin E, gamma-tocopherol, in walnuts is also beneficial for heart health. In addition, the phytosterols or plant compounds in walnuts can lower “bad” LDL cholesterol.
Enjoying walnuts is an excellent way to pack in fiber and healthy fats that stabilize blood sugar, promote satiation, reduce cravings, and prevent overeating — all helpful for reducing body fat. Walnuts also help prevent an insulin spike when enjoyed with carbs such as sweet potatoes, apples or dark chocolate.
- Walnuts make an easy-to-pack snack thatʼs nutritious, filling and versatile.
- Add to yogurt, salads, side dishes, fruit, dark chocolate, or desserts.
- Soaked and sprouted nuts (instructions here) are ideal for optimizing nutrient-intake and digestion.
- For a brain boost, add walnuts to breakfast, such as a yogurt parfait layered with walnuts and berries.
- One serving of walnuts is about 7 shelled whole nuts or 14 unshelled halves (1/4 cup).
- Eat the skin for maximum benefits.
- Due to their high unsaturated fat content, walnuts should be selected and stored with care.
- Select organic, raw, whole walnuts when available.
- Store unshelled walnuts in the refrigerator for up to six months.
- Store shelled walnuts in an airtight bag in the fridge for up to six months or the freezer for up to one year.
2 pounds raw, unsalted walnuts (or pecans)
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 cup shredded coconut (optional)
to taste, raw honey
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine ingredients on a rimmed baking sheet and spread into a single layer.
- Roast for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Optional: once cooled, drizzled with raw honey.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 6 months or in the freezer up to 1 year.