Loaded with benefits, including weight loss, immune system support, and improved digestion, coconut is an easy ingredient to include to take your health to the next level with little effort.
Coconut Health Benefits
1. Boosts Metabolism
Coconut contains metabolism-boosting, appetite-reducing medium-chain triglycerides (MCTs).
2. Strengthens Immunity
Rich in lauric acid, coconut contains antiviral, anti-fungal and antimicrobial properties that support the immune system, fight infections, protect against pathogens and promote overall gut health.
3. Improves Digestion
Coconut doesn’t require bile salts for digestion, making it an ideal natural fat to enjoy for those starting to include more fat, those with digestive issues and for those who’ve had their gallbladder removed.
4. Ideal For Cooking
Coconut’s high saturated fat content makes this fat ideal for cooking at higher temperatures.
Homemade Gluten-Free Coconut Bread
Yields 8 thick slices or 12 thin slices
8 ounces (1/2 a jar) unrefined coconut butter
2 tablespoons coconut oil
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (optional – provides a nice golden color)
1 tablespoon honey/grade B maple syrup (optional)
- Melt the coconut butter, oil and honey/maple syrup in a double boiler (place in a glass bowl covering a pot of simmering water) and melt. Cool for 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Place an ovenproof baking dish with 2 cups of water added to the top rack while the oven preheats and during baking to keep the loaf moist.
- Separate egg yolks from the egg whites. Beat the whites until soft peaks form. Then, add the yolks, coconut mixture, and remaining ingredients. Beat for 20 seconds to mix.
- Add to a loaf pan (option to grease with coconut oil for easier loaf removal).
- Bake at 300 degrees for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Cool for 20 minutes, remove from loaf pan and cool for an additional 20 minutes.
- Cool completely before storing in an airtight container in the fridge.
- Enjoy toasted and topped with butter.
Note: this gluten-free, Paleo-friendly bread can be made in batches and frozen. Just be sure to cool completely and slice before freezing in an airtight bag/container.
Roasted Coconut Flakes
Add 1/2 a pound of coconut flakes to a rimmed baking sheet. Spread evenly and roast at 300 degrees for 5-10 minutes or until golden brown. Keep an eye on them or they will burn.
Full-fat coconut products to include: coconut oil, coconut butter, coconut milk, coconut cream, shredded coconut, and coconut flakes. Select unrefined, organic coconut products with no other ingredients listed.