Detoxification is an essential, often overlooked, aspect of good health, the prevention of disease and sustainable weight loss. Although the word “detox” typically brings to mind a juice cleanse or a break from booze, this type of detoxification focuses on improving your overall health for the long haul. The 10 lifestyle changes below help you identity underlying causes of toxicity, reduce your daily toxic load and enhance your body’s ability to eliminate toxins.
1. Eliminate Toxic Sources
Identify and treat any underlying causes:
- Gut problems: bacteria imbalances, Candida overgrowth and parasites.
- Diet: processed foods, contaminated water, non-organic/GM foods, farmed fish, feedlot animal products, food allergies/sensitivities/intolerances, mercury filled seafood, canned/plastic containers/bottles, etc.
- Environment: pollution, smoke, heavy metals, xenoestrogens, BPA, pesticides, herbicides, fertilizers, chemicals, molds and allergens, etc.
- Lifestyle: hygiene/beauty products (toothpaste, deodorant, lotion, shampoo), household cleaners, dish soap/detergent, laundry detergent, plastics, cookware, fragrances (perfume, cologne, candles, room sprays), dry cleaning, mercury fillings, poor quality supplements (often contain heavy metals and other contaminants), birth control pills, drugs, vaccines, etc.
2. Heal Your Gut
After treating underlying causes, it’s important to heal your gut lining by including mucosal barrier support supplements and homemade bone broth. Also, including fermented foods and probiotics will help repopulate friendly flora to create a healthier, more balanced gut environment.
3. Eat Clean Foods
Enjoy whole foods including quality proteins, organic plants and natural fats. Green leafy veggies are rich in chlorphyll that flush out toxins. In addition, garlic, onions and eggs are a good source of detoxifying sulfur.
4. Drink Filtered Water
5. Enjoy Balanced Meals
Eat 3 balanced meals and snacks containing quality protein, natural fat, non-starchy veggies and low-sugar fruit. Giving your digestion a break by fasting overnight (7 pm to 7 am) can be beneficial for detoxifying.
6. Nourish Your Liver
Liver congestion from toxic overload makes it harder to digest food, absorb nutrients, lose fat and prevent disease. Nourish your liver by consuming lemon juice, dandelion tea, beets, kale, garlic and onions. However, the best thing you can do to support your liver and overall detoxification is a coffee enema. Coffee enemas boost your body’s production of glutathione (the mother of all antioxidants) by up to 700 percent.
7. Defecate Every Day
Determine your stool transit time and make sure you have at least one daily bowel movement to ensure successful elimination of toxins.
8. Break a Sweat
Sweat profusely 3 or more times a week to promote circulation. Exercise, epsom/sea salt baths and infrared saunas release toxins stored in organs, tissues and fat cells.
9. Bounce & Brush
As little as two minutes of rebounding can flush your entire lymph system. Dry skin brushing also stimulates the lymph, immune and nervous systems.
10. Relax & Breathe
Breathe deeply throughout your day to activate the parasympathetic nervous system, which promotes a state of relaxation that’s ideal for healing.
- How to Detox in 10 Simple Steps
- Reduce Toxins in Your Home & Daily Life
- 10 Healthier Home Products to Reduce Toxins
- 15 DIY Edible Beauty Solutions
- Find healthier products at Skin Deep