Rich in protein, healthy fat and fiber, almonds help stabilize blood sugar levels, reduce cravings, and boost fat burning. Filled with minerals and vitamins, especially the antioxidant vitamin E, this superfood supports immunity, improves digestion, and aids detoxification. Versatile and easy to include, almond milk and almond butter provide healthier alternatives to cow’s milk and peanut butter.
Homemade Almond Milk
Almond milk is a great dairy-free alternative for use in coffee, oatmeal, egg dishes, smoothies, baking, milkshakes, soups, and curries.
- In a medium bowl, cover nuts with water and soak overnight.
- Drain and rinse.
- Add ingredients to a high-speed blender. Blend on high for 2 minutes.
- Strain, taste and adjust flavorings as preferred.
- Store in the fridge for up to 1 week. Shake before using.
- Swap the nuts for 6 TB of almond butter. Blend for 30 seconds and skip straining.
Homemade Almond Butter
A more nutritious alternative to peanut butter, almond butter is delicious on celery, as a dip for sliced apples, blended in smoothies, or added to desserts.
Yields 1 3/4 cups
3 cups raw almonds
1/2 cup coconut oil (warmed if needed so that it’s in liquid form)
1/4 teaspoon sea salt (optional)
- Place all ingredients in a high-speed blender and secure the lid.
- Turn machine on and slowly increase to the highest speed.
- Blend until desired consistency.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 1 month.
- Chocolate Delight: cacao powder + stevia
- Maple Cinnamon: maple syrup + ground cinnamon
- Vanilla Date: Medjool dates + vanilla extract
- Honey Orange: raw honey + fresh orange juice