GMOs, or genetically modified organisms, are plants or animals created through gene splicing techniques of biotechnology.
This genetic engineering merges DNA from different species, creating unstable combinations of plant, animal, bacterial and viral genes that do not occur in nature. According to the American Academy of Environmental Medicine, “Several animal studies indicate serious health risks associated with genetically modified (GM) food.” These health problems include: infertility, reproductive problems, decreased immunity, accelerated aging, poor insulin regulation, organ malfunction, increased risk of food allergies, and gastrointestinal problems. Watch the video below to learn more!
5 Steps To Reduce Your Risk
1. Avoid the following high-risk crops: alfalfa, canola, corn, cotton, papaya, soy, sugar beets, zucchini and yellow summer squash. “Many of these items appear as added ingredients in a large amount of the foods we eat. For instance, your family may not eat tofu or drink soy milk, but soy is most likely present in a large percentage of the foods in your pantry” (nongmoproject.org).
2. Avoid processed products, especially those containing the following ingredients: Amino Acids, Aspartame, Ascorbic Acid, Sodium Ascorbate, Vitamins, Citric Acid, Sodium Citrate, Natural or Artificial Flavorings, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Hydrolyzed/Textured Vegetable Protein, Lactic Acid, Maltodextrin, Molasses, Monosodium Glutamate, Sucrose, Xanthan Gum and Yeast. “Starting in 1996, Americans have been eating genetically modified ingredients in most processed foods” (ResponsibleTechnology.org).
3. Opt for local, organic animal products that have not been eating GM feed. Speak directly with your farmer to get the highest quality products.
4. Buy Certified Organic AND Non-GMO Project Verified foods. Click here to find non-GMO foods. Buying “organic” is a great way to reduce your toxic load, but “organic” certification does not require GMO testing.
5. Read produce PLU stickers. Choose organic foods with 5 numbers on the label that start with the number 9: 92345. Avoid GMO PLU stickers with 5 numbers on the label that start with the number 8: 82345