Paleo-friendly and gluten-free these tasty soup tips and edible ideas fit all of the criteria for making healthy eating delicious and doable.
They’re nutrient-dense, nourishing, quick, simple and extremely versatile. Now you can make a mouth-watering soup in minutes.
5 Tips to Make The Best Soup Ever
1. Use Quality Broth
Every delicious soup starts with a good quality broth. Homemade broth is ideal and can be made in a slow cooker or Instant Pot to save time. Make broth in batches and freeze as needed, so you always have some on hand. If homemade is not an option, try Kettle & Fire Grass-fed broth. For an extra nutrient boost, add collagen or gelatin.
2. Add Healthy Fats
Add healthy fats to your soup to sauté veggies and provide tons of flavor. Based on the ingredients you choose, you can adjust your soup to fit your appetite. Great fats for sautéing include organic unrefined coconut/palm oil, grass-fed butter/ghee or bacon grease. Yummy fats for mixing in or topping your soup include coconut milk, creamed coconut, raw milk cheese, grass-fed creme fraiche, or pastured bacon bits.
3. Choose Colorful Veg
Create color and contrast in your soup by choosing three colorful veggies to include. Cut these ingredients into bite-size pieces so each spoonful gives you a variety of flavors, textures, and colors. Great nutrient-dense combos include: red cabbage + carrots + cauliflower, broccoli + red onions + butternut squash, tomatoes + zucchini + orange peppers, kale + sweet potato + sweet onions. Variations listed below.
4. Pre-Cook Protein
Pack in pre-cooked proteins to save time and provide high satiation. Good options include leftovers (ground beef, meatballs, pulled pork, roasted chicken), rotisserie chicken, Wild Planet canned salmon, or pre-made sausage/meatballs. Add protein to your soup just before serving to avoid overcooking.
5. Boost Flavor
Satisfy your senses with some simple flavor boosters such as fish sauce, apple cider vinegar, Parmesan, Pecorino Romano, creme fraiche, sea vegetables, fresh ginger, or curry paste.
Here are the instructions for tying the tips above together to create one spectacular soup recipe! Note, the servings sizes are easy to adjust for cooking for one, a family, or a crowd.
- Prep all of your ingredients so they’re ready to go.
- Preheat a soup pot or dutch oven.
- Add 1 TB of healthy fat, such as unrefined coconut/palm oil.
- Add veggies (2 cups per person) and sauté for 3 minutes.
- Add broth (1 cup per person), apple cider vinegar (1 tsp per person) and fish sauce (1/4 tsp per person).
- Bring to a boil for 1-3 minutes or until veggies are fork tender.
- Turn heat off, add protein (4-5 oz per person) and serve immediately.
- Add toppings such as raw milk cheese (1 TB grated) or coconut cream (1 TB).
- Season with sea salt.
- Optional: serve with coconut bread and butter.
These soups are perfect for winter or any time of year.
- Chicken Zoodle: chicken + zucchini noodles + diced carrots + yellow onions
- Turkey Curry: turkey + green beans + mushrooms + sweet potato + coconut cream + yellow curry
- Beef & Vegetable: leftover shredded stew meat + kale + red potatoes + scallions + creme fraiche
- Salmon & Sweet Potato: canned salmon + butternut squash + red cabbage + cauliflower + bacon bits
- Tomato Meatballs: leftover pork meatballs + tomato sauce + spinach + Parmesan
- Kettle & Fire broth
- Bragg organic raw apple cider vinegar
- Red Boat fish sauce
- Wild Planet canned salmon
- Let’s Do Coconut organic creamed coconut
- Natural Value organic guar gum free coconut milk
- Great Lakes gelatin or collagen
- Maine Coast sea vegetables
- Nutiva organic red palm oil
- Thrive Market organic tomato basil tomato sauce
- Thrive Market organic curry powder