Make Mother’s Day extra special by cooking Mom a beautiful brunch that’s sure to satisfy her senses. She’ll definitely polish off her plate with this delicious menu of zesty Zevia Mimosas, succulent sweet potato crusted quiche and drool-inducing chocolate chip cookies. That’s right, champagne, bacon, and chocolate all in one day. What’s not to like? This healthier homemade Mother’s Day meal is a great way to say, “I love you!” I’m sure Mom will reciprocate the feeling when her mouth is not so full.
Sweet Potato Crusted Quiche
Cooking time: 45 minutes Yields 8 slices
5 slices bacon
1 large Roasted Sweet Potato, peeled, sliced thin
1 red bell pepper, sliced into 1-inch chunks
1/4 cup heavy whipping cream (dairy-free: replace with coconut milk)
1/4 cup goat cheese (dairy free: replace with 1 sliced avocado)
4 medium scallions, ends removed, sliced thin
1 TSP cayenne pepper
1/2 cup fresh basil, sliced thin
To taste sea salt & pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Meanwhile, cook bacon in a large oven-safe skillet over medium heat. Cook bacon until desired doneness, then remove from skillet & chop into smaller pieces. Layer potato slices on the bottom of the skillet. Turn heat off.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the remaining ingredients & pour into the skillet.
- Bake in the oven for 20-30 minutes or until the eggs are firm & mostly cooked throughout. Transfer to a cutting board & allow to cool before cutting into 8 slices. Serve warm or cold.
Dark Chocolate Chip Cookies
Cooking time: about 15 minutes Yields: 12 cookies
4 large Medjool dates, pits removed
2 cups walnuts &/or pecans
2 TSP vanilla extract
1 TSP baking soda
1/8 TSP fine sea salt
2 TB butter or coconut oil (warmed so that it’s in liquid form)
1 TSP cinnamon
To taste stevia (about 10 mini scoops powdered)
1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
1 88% dark chocolate bar, chopped
1 TB butter or coconut oil (for cookie sheet)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Blend dates, nuts & vanilla in a food processor until a paste forms, about 1 minute. Add baking soda, salt, butter/oil, egg, cinnamon & stevia. Mix until combined.
- Scrape the batter into a bowl & stir in coconut & chocolate chips. Form 12 portions of the dough onto a buttered/oiled cookie sheet, then gently flatten each one with your fingers.
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until nicely browned.
Zemosa – Zevia Mimosa
2 parts champagne + 1 part Zevia Orange + orange peel & zest