With endless “to-do” lists, family events and work deadlines, we’re constantly exposed to chronic stress that can sabotage weight loss efforts and contribute to numerous problems including hormone imbalances, blood sugar problems and digestive issues.
One of the easiest and most enjoyable things you can do to reduce stress and improve your health is to incorporate yoga and other stress-reducing activities into your daily routine. With regular practice, yoga can have a huge impact on your health and weight loss goals.
10 Health Benefits of Yoga
- Decreases Overall Stress
- Increases Flexibility & Strength
- Improves Circulation & Lymphatic Flow
- Boosts Immunity
- Supports Weight Loss
- Increases Mindful Eating
- Improves Sleep
- Eases Migraines
- Improves Mood & Decreases Depression
- Benefits Heart Health
20 Other Stress-Reducing Tips
- Stay hydrated and limit caffeine
- Include magnesium-rich foods such as leafy greens and nuts
- Cook in batches to save time and dirty dishes
- Invest in a slow cooker or sous vide to make cooking easier
- Spend more time in nature and soak up some sunshine
- Take a 30 minute walk daily
- Spend quality time with pets, friends and loved ones
- Say “no” when you need to
- Do one thing at a time
- Simplify and de-clutter your living space
- Relax and unplug for at least an hour daily
- Enjoy a sea salt and lavender bath by candlelight
- Drink chamomile or holy basil tea
- Take adaptogens, such as rhodiola to help your body adapt to stress
- Listen to relaxing music
- Read a positive or humerous book
- Lay down with an eye pillow
- Treat yourself to a massage
- Write in a gratitude journal
- Get more sleep by going to bed earlier
Online Yoga Membership
Ester Ekhart Yoga is my favorite online option for doing yoga anywhere and anytime. With Ekhart Yoga you can take online programs, workshops and classes. You can completely customize your practice with options for yoga level, duration (10 minutes, 20 minutes or more), style (flow, yin, hatha, restorative, pregnancy, seniors, etc.), specific use (such as hip openers, stress reduction, twist, etc), and teachers.
Local Highlight: Om Yoga Studio
Om Studios are located in downtown Monterey and the Barnyard Shopping Center in Carmel. Both studios provide an energizing, inspiring space saturated with natural light, and bamboo flooring. The moment you walk through the door you feel your stress melt away. Try Om’s 7-day Intro Special for only $20 or stop by their full service spa for a day of divine pampering. Learn more at OmOasis.com.
Would you like to lose weight, reduce inflammation, improve sleep, increase energy and feel better on a daily basis? Contact Certified Nutritionist and Kitchen Coach, Cate Ritter, to improve your health now!