Spring is the perfect time to enjoy more raw foods. Rich in enzymes, vitamins and antioxidants, raw foods help aid digestion, support weight loss and strengthen the immune system. “Raw” means food has not been heated above 115 degrees. Many foods in packages, containers, cans, and jars, use heat/pasteurization and processing to extend the shelf life of the product, but those methods deplete enzymes and other nutrients.
Eating enzyme depleted foods means your pancreas has to supply the enzymes needed to break down carbs, protein, fat and other nutrients for the body to use. Eating a lot of processed and/or cooked foods results in your pancreas and other organs being overworked. This can create digestive issues, nutrient malabsorption and many other health problems.
Including raw foods daily is a simple way to benefit your body and shed fat. Although it takes longer to eat raw foods, the increased chewing improves nutrient absorption and decreases hunger. Raw plants such as vegetables and fruits, are rich in fiber that boosts weight loss, supports digestion, stabilizes blood sugar levels and aids detoxification.
Foods To Enjoy Raw
Veggies: avocados, beets, broccoli, brussels sprouts, cabbage, carrots, cauliflower, celery, cucumber, endive, fennel, garlic, jicama, kale, lettuce, onions, peppers, radishes, salad greens, spinach, sprouts, tomatoes, seaweed
Herbs and spices: basil, cilantro, parsley, ginger, cayenne, thyme, etc.
Fermented foods: sauerkraut, kimchi, kvass, yogurt, kefir, kombucha, Zukay products
Nuts, seeds and nut/seed butters: all
Other: cider vinegar, coconut oil, olive oil, olives, guacamole, salsa, cacao, maca, honey, sea salt
High quality unpasteurized animal products: milk, cheese, yogurt, eggs, butter, ghee, steak/tuna tartare, sushi, sashimi, ceviche, carpaccio, and crudo
5 Ways To Include Raw Foods
1. Start your day with a protein shake: Blueberry Muffin
2. Enjoy a wrap at lunch: kale wrap with chicken, hummus, peppers and olives
3. Snack on nuts, veg, fruit and/or cheese: celery and almond butter
4. Try a dinner salad: steak with arugula, avocado, tomatoes, Zukay and olive oil
5. Select fruit for dessert: Vanilla Shortbread Cookies or Cacao Cashew Cookies
Delicious Raw Recipes
- Almond Milk and Almond Butter with variations
- 7 Super Shakes & Green Drinks
- Sensational Salads & Homemade Dressings
- 8 Great Green Wraps To Boost Nutrients
- Desserts: Dark Chocolate Brownies, Fig Walton Bars, Banana Sundae Bites and Cherry Almond Balls