Absolutely! The Standard American Diet (S.A.D.) is greatly lacking in nutrient-rich fermented foods, such as sauerkraut, kimchi, kefir, kombucha and kvass. With their crunchy or creamy textures and lip-puckering tart taste, fermented foods aren’t always pleasing to our sugary and salty adjusted palates. However, included regularly, these super foods are excellent for improving digestion, balancing bacterial health, and increasing nutrient absorption. These probiotic-rich, raw foods are great sources of enzymes, vitamins and minerals that support gut functioning, strengthen the immune system, and benefit overall health.
Here are 7 tips for including more fermented foods:
1. Start your day with kombucha/kvass by itself or added to a green drink
2. Add a spoonful of homemade sauerkraut to your sausage & eggs at breakfast
3. Snack on some pickles or raw veggies & Zukay dressing
4. Dress your lunchtime salad or wrap with Sweet Onion Basil Zukay
5. Enjoy a cup of yogurt/kefir with cinnamon & berries for a snack
6. Drizzle your pulled pork tacos with Red Pepper Cilantro Zukay for dinner
7. Sip on goat milk kefir with unsweetened cocoa & stevia for dessert
Learn more about fermented foods by watching the video below from Zukay!
Would you like to lose weight, reduce inflammation, improve sleep, increase energy and feel better on a daily basis? Contact Certified Nutritionist and Kitchen Coach, Cate Ritter, to improve your health now!