A great way to stay cool while partaking in the season’s colorful bounty is to enjoy fresh berries. Including berries into your daily diet is a delicious and nutritious way to improve your health and support weight loss. Blackberries, blueberries, raspberries and strawberries are the most nutritionally-dense fruits. Packed with antioxidants, vitamin C and fiber, berries help decrease inflammation, support weight loss, and improve overall health. They’re also an excellent, low-sugar alternative to processed snacks and sweets.
Antioxidants & Fiber
The combination of antioxidants and fiber make berries ideal for weight loss. With their high antioxidant content, berries protect against oxidative damage by neutralizing free-radicals that cause inflammation, pre-mature aging, and disease. The fiber in berries supports digestion and lowers the glycemic load or the rate carbs are digested. Enjoying food with a low glycemic load is essential for maintaining consistent energy and mental focus throughout your day.
Healthier Snack or Sweet
Choosing natural whole foods over man-made processed products is a healthy habit for improving your daily diet. An excellent alternative to processed snacks, such as fruit bars, baked goods and candy, berries are a naturally sweet, low-carb option to satisfy your sweet tooth without packing on the pounds.
Berry Benefit Breakdown
Listed below are four berries to support your health and satisfy a sweet tooth. For maximum nutritional benefits, aim for 1/2-2 cups of fresh or frozen berries daily. Opt for “organic” to reduce your risk of pesticides.
Blackberries, 3/4 cup (100 g) = 43 calories, 10 g carbs, 5 g fiber, 5 g sugars
Blueberries, 3/4 cup (100 g) = 57 calories, 14 g carbs, 2 g fiber, 10 g sugar
Raspberries, 1 cup (100 g) = 52 calories, 12 g carbs, 6 g fiber, 4 g sugar
Strawberries, 1 cup (144 g) = 46 calories, 11 g carbs, 3 g fiber, 7 g sugars
- Blueberries cooked in gluten-free pancakes
- Raspberries mixed with oatmeal and walnuts
- Blackberries layered in a vanilla almond parfait
- Strawberries blended in a chocolate protein shake
- Blueberries with a handful of walnuts
- Raspberries with cottage cheese
- Blackberries with a handful of pecans
- Strawberries with Greek yogurt and cinnamon
- Wild salmon salad with berries, walnuts, spinach and lime vinaigrette
- Berries dipped in melted dark chocolate
- Orange Berry Vanilla Ice Cream