This delicious, melt-in-your-mouth, low carb, Paleo-friendly beef stew is sure to keep you warm, while helping you burn fat during the cooler months. Once everything is in the oven, you can sit back and relax with a nice glass of red wine. Best yet, this one-pot beefy delight requires minimal clean up!
1 tablespoon butter
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon red chili pepper flakes
2 teaspoons dried rosemary or 3 sprigs fresh
2 pounds grass-fed beef stew meat (chuck roast, cut into 1 1/2 inch cubes) *Pat meat dry with paper towels to promote browning
1 red onion, sliced thin
1/2 bag baby carrots (or 4 medium carrots, chopped 2-inches thick)
8 ounces mushrooms, crimini, halved
1/2 cup red wine
14 ounces canned diced tomatoes (or 1 pound fresh, diced + 1/2 cup water)
6 anchovies (if omitting, then add salt)
1 bunch kale, stem removed, cut into bite-size pieces
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Heat a dutch oven over medium heat for 5 minutes. Add butter, dried spices, thyme and 1/2 the beef, leaving space between each piece. Brown for 5 minutes. Add onions, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon for 3 minutes to deglaze the dutch oven.
- In a mini food processor, combine tomatoes with anchovies and pulse until blended. Add to the dutch oven in this order: wine, remaining beef, carrots, mushrooms, and tomato/anchovy sauce. Cover and continue to thoroughly heat all ingredients before transferring to the oven, about 5 minutes.
- Keep covered and place on the lowest rack in oven for 2 hours and 15 minutes, or until fork tender. The meat should be extremely tender and fall apart when poked with a fork. If not, cook 30 minutes or longer.
- Remove from oven, stir in kale, cover and let rest for 10 minutes before serving.
Note: this recipe can also be cooked in a slow cooker for 9 hours on low.
9 Reasons to Go Grass-Fed!
- Raised without antibiotics, steroids and growth hormones
- Lower in total fat (as lean as a chicken breast)
- 60 percent higher in anti-inflammatory omega-3s, which supports a healthier omega-3 to omega-6 ratio
- Up to 5 times higher in CLA, a potent cancer fighter
- 10 times higher in beta-carotene
- 4 times higher in vitamin E, a powerful antioxidant
- Higher in B-vitamins, folic acid, calcium, magnesium & potassium
- Lower risk of E. Coli: 6.3 million (grass-fed) vs 20,000 (grain-fed)
- More environmentally friendly: 40% less greenhouse gases, 85% less energy use, and restores soil fertility
- US Wellness Meats – online shopping for high quality animal products.
- Butcher Box – high quality animal products delivered (use this link to get $10 off + free bacon!)
- Dr. Josh Axe: 6 Grass-Fed Beef Nutrition Benefits
- Chris Kresser: Why Grass-fed Trumps Grain-fed
- Dr. Mercola: How Grass-fed Cows Could Save the Planet
- The Big Fat Surprise: Why Butter, Meat & Cheese Belong in a Healthy Diet
- Recipes: CNK, Balanced Bites, Dr. Axe, Mark’s Daily Apple, Nom Nom Paleo
Cate Ritter is a Certified Functional Diagnostic Nutrition® Practitioner specializing in weight loss, digestive health and hormone balance. In-person, Skype, phone and corporate health programs available.